Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Eric Cantona

A slight deviation from my usual trend of drawing MMA fighters.

Eric Cantona is a Marseille born professional footballer. He played in France and England where in 1997 finished his professional career at Manchester United.
I'm not a football guy myself and despite his professional savvy and all the laurels, Cantona's name would probably only resonate a faint echo somewhere along the depths of subliminal mind, if not for his perfectly timed and placed flying side kick to a Crystal Palace supporter at Selhurst Park in January 1995. The fan Matthew Simmons was verbally insulting the Frenchman as he was walking from the stadium following the send-off. Later commenting on the incident footballer admitted feeling no remorse for his action.

"When I did the kung fu kick on the hooligan, because these kind of people don’t have to be at the game ... it’s like a dream for some, you know sometimes to kick these kind of people," he said. "So I did it for [the fans]. So they are happy. It’s a kind of freedom for them"

"No it was a mistake," Cantona told the BBC. "But that’s life. That’s me. Take it or not. I’m strong enough to come back."

After finishing his football career Cantona is making his name in a movie industry, and, also, he doesn't look back:

"I don’t care about the past,” he says. “It was a great memory but I don’t want to think about it. I want to look forward."

"I don’t know where my medals are. No shirts, nothing"

"I played for France 45 times and I had two shirts every game. That’s 90 shirts. I don’t even have one now."

"You can feel very quickly as a prisoner of your past, of the memories. I prefer to be free and think about tomorrow."



No comments:

Post a Comment